Little Penguin (12-3)


"I will be going out on my own," Tim told Rupert.  "I need to find my own path and not be stuck here in a small town."  Tim knew that the words he said would be taken badly.  He did not want Rupert to try to convince him to stay.  To his surprise Rupert did not show any sign of discomfort to what he had said.

"Where will you be going?  Are you going after your family or are you going to try and hide from all this?" asked Rupert.  Rupert was trying not to show his feeling to the young penguin.  He was shocked that Tim had been so rude about the place that he called home, but he realized that Tim had gone through a shock and would probably lash out at those who had not hurt him.

Tim was taken back by what Rupert had said.  Did he know what he was planning or was he just taking a wild guess?  Tim replied, "Does it matter where I am going?  I am just not going to stay here."

"It does matter.  If you are going after your family you will need some supplies to get there.  If you are just going to go and hide, then I will not be able to help you, do that."

Tim thought on Rupert's words and measured what he was saying.  He did not want to leave without anything to get him started.  If he lied to Rupert would he be able to tell?  Tim had ponder long enough that it was making Rupert uneasy.  Tim could see that Rupert was becoming uneasy with the silence.

"I am going after my family," Tim lied.

Rupert tried to understand if Tim was telling the truth.  He then decided that he would test what Tim was saying.  If Tim was willing to help him out in his restaurant for one day, then Rupert would assume that he was telling the truth.

"I am glad that you are not going to run and hide.  I do need one thing before you go.  I need you to help me out in my restaurant and after I close for the day then I will help you pack for tomorrows departure.  Will that work for you?" inquired Rupert.

Tim did not want to wait until the end of the day.  The Citizen Eaters may show up in the town while he was there if he did not leave soon.

"I need to leave as soon as possible.  If I don't leave now then I will not be able to catch up," Tim said nervously.

"I am sorry, but I can't help you until the end of the day and I will not allow you to rummage through my stuff without me here.  If you are not going to wait then you will have to go without my help," insisted Rupert.

*To Be Continued(3)*

©2014 Brady L.B.

Comments